An ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) is a self-contained living unit that can be located on the same property as a primary residence. ADUs can either be attached to the primary residence (such as a basement or garage conversion) or can be stand-alone structures (such as a small cottage or guest house).
Other names for ADUs include granny flats, in-law suites, laneway houses, backyard cottages, and secondary suites. They are typically smaller in size compared to a typical single-family home, but still contain all the necessary amenities for independent living, such as a kitchen, bathroom, and living space. ADUs are becoming increasingly popular as a way to increase housing density and address the shortage of affordable housing in many areas.
There are several benefits of building an ADU (Accessory Dwelling Unit) on your land, including:
- Increased property value: An ADU can increase the value of your property by providing additional living space.
- Extra living space: An ADU can provide additional living space for family members, guests, or even for renting out, generating additional income.
- Flexible housing: Building an ADU provides flexibility in housing arrangements, allowing you to adapt to changing family needs, or use it for rental income.
- Affordable housing: ADUs are a more affordable housing option than building a separate home, and can help address the shortage of affordable housing in many areas.
- Sustainable choice: Building an ADU can contribute to reducing urban sprawl and promoting denser, walkable neighborhoods, making it a more sustainable choice.
- Multigenerational living: An ADU can be an ideal solution for families who want to provide separate, yet close living spaces for aging parents or adult children.
- Home office: An ADU can be used as a home office, providing a quiet and separate workspace, which is becoming more important as remote work becomes more prevalent.
- Short-term rentals: An ADU can be rented out on platforms like Airbnb or VRBO, providing a new source of income.
- Higher rental income: ADUs can generate a higher rental income per square foot than larger rental units, making them an attractive investment option.
- Tax benefits: Building an ADU can provide tax benefits, such as deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes, and can even help you qualify for a home office deduction if used for that purpose.
Alternate uses for an ADU:
In addition to being used as a separate living unit, there are a variety of alternate uses for this type of structure, such as providing a dedicated workspace, serving as a guest house, or even being used as a source of rental income. They can also be utilized for aging in place, storage, music studios, home gyms, or combined workspace and living space for entrepreneurs and freelancers.
Featured Adair ADUS
Adding an ADU to your property can significantly increase its value. Explore our range of stand-alone ADU options or consider incorporating it into your chosen Adair home plan for a seamless and stylish addition.
512 suite - can only be added to an Adair plan/custom plan
780 (The Magnolia) - can be added or built to stand alone
597 (Coming soon) - can be added or built to stand alone
Larger ADU options:
Adair Homes + You = The Perfect Home
With over 50 customizable floorplans and an entire Pro Team at your disposal, building a custom home with Adair has never been easier. Choose to personalize one of our plans, or draw your own from scratch. Either way, you’ll benefit from our decades of building experience and the cost-saving relationships we’ve built through Interpak Supply.
Contact an Adair team member today and begin the journey. We’ll walk you through every step, from budgeting and property site plans to interior design.
About Adair Homes
With 53-plus years in the industry, Adair’s long-term commitment to treating each customer with honesty, integrity, and respect has paid off, 22,000 customers strong and counting.
At Adair Homes, our mission states: it is our privilege to build our customers the home they have always dreamed of. We believe in providing the greatest value for our customer’s dollar and finding innovative ways to value engineer homes. We believe that we can offer an outstanding customer experience that is both enjoyable and rewarding—and offer this one-of-a-kind customer experience as the largest on-your-lot builder in the West. For more info, get in touch with us here or call 1-844-518-7072.