For homeowners looking to upgrade, the Inland Northwest may offer the perfect combination of urban convenience and peaceful, small-town living.
The area boasts a strong economy and a steady growth rate, according to the Spokane Journal. But it’s also home to wide, open spaces; awe-inspiring mountains; and picturesque rivers. If you and your family are nature lovers who enjoy having a bit of elbow room between you and your neighbors, the Inland Northwest will probably feel like heaven on earth.
Of course, it can be challenging to find the right home in this sought-after slice of the Pacific Northwest. Home prices are rising steadily, and many cities have become a seller’s market. For example, in Spokane, the median home-sales price rose 8.7 percent in 2016.
Luckily, building a custom home can help you ensure you get exactly what you want. Partnering with a custom builder gives you the chance to customize your new home on a piece of land that you purchase or that you already own. And the good news is that the Spokane–Coeur d’Alene corridor has many affordable properties available. The key is finding the plot of land that’s right for you.
Hot Spots in the Inland Northwest
There is plenty of land for sale in this area, but it seems to be moving quickly. The hottest price point for a property is around $50,000 to $70,000, although many are selling for up to $100,000.
Some of the hot spots in the region are:
- Spokane. There are several dozen properties available within the city limits of this quickly growing city. Many are well below $100,000 and include an acre or more, creating an ideal opportunity to build a custom home within a mid-sized city while still enjoying plenty of space.
- Cheney. Just southwest of Spokane, this quiet, small town offers more of a rural feel but with all the conveniences of the city just a short drive away. Cheney also is home to several larger, beautiful properties at even lower prices compared to those in Spokane.
- Chattaroy. Ten miles north of Spokane, Chattaroy is a small, unincorporated community that is edged by winding rivers and green forests. This is a prime spot to settle if you’re looking for even more peace and quiet. Properties here tend to be larger—many are 10 acres or more—and so the prices are a bit higher. But you can find options for $70,000 or less that would be ideal for a spacious custom home.
- Coeur d’Alene. On the Idaho side of the Inland Northwest, Coeur d’Alene is the largest metropolitan area, with about 44,000 residents. The city is a big draw for tourists, because it sits right on beautiful Lake Coeur d’Alene. It’s also been growing and developing in recent years. Luckily, there are still some gorgeous properties left—some within the city’s urban area and others with incredible lake views. If you’re looking for land near $50,000, though, you may have to act quickly.
- Rathdrum. This small suburb of Coeur d’Alene is growing steadily, with a lot of wide, open spaces that are a draw for custom-home customers. Rathdrum offers several opportunities to stay on the lower end of the $50,000-to-$70,000 sweet spot while still enjoying a much larger lot than you would find in a typical community.
Tips for Finding Land
Online property searches, like the tool available on Zillow.com, can be a helpful place to start. They give you a good idea of how many properties are available in a given area, as well as the typical price.
However, there’s really no substitute for actually hitting the ground in your desired area. Take a weekend drive with the family to check out the city or town you’re considering building in. Note what suburbs or rural areas you like, and you can home in on those online later.
While you’re exploring, keep an eye out for lots that are for sale by the owner. The vast majority of these won’t show up on sites like Zillow. And if the owner is a motivated seller, you may be able to get exactly what you’re looking for at a great price.
Find the Perfect Property
Although there’s a variety of land available for sale in the Inland Northwest this summer, remember that this is a fast-growing market. Whether you’re searching in Spokane or Coeur d’Alene or somewhere in between, it can be extremely helpful to work with knowledgeable homeownership counselors who are local to the region.
As you start to search for the perfect property, take the opportunity to get in touch with Adair Homes to discuss your options. Our local Inland Northwest homeownership counselors can help you find land that will accommodate your wish list, including the type and size of custom home you envision, your budget, and your lifestyle. We can also recommend trusted realtor partners who can assist you in finding the perfect piece of land for building your dream home.